Eastern Black Sea Development Agency’s (DOKA) main aim is, “To improve cooperation between public sector, private sector and non-governmental organizations, to ensure the proper and effective use of resources and to mobilize local potential, to accelerate regional development in line with the principles and policies envisaged in the national development plan and programs, was established on 29.7.2009 to serve TR90 NUTS-2 region (Artvin, Giresun, Gümüşhane, Ordu, Rize and Trabzon) on the basis of Law No. 5449 in order to ensure sustainability and to reduce the differences between regional and intra-regional development. The agency’s headquarter is located in Trabzon.
General coordination of the agencies is carried out by the General Directorate of Development Agencies of the Ministry of Industry and Technology. The Board of Directors, which is the decision-making body of the Agency; Artvin, Giresun, Gümüşhane, Ordu, Rize and Trabzon governors, Mayors, Provincial General Assembly Presidents and Presidents of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, including 22 members. Currently, the Agency provides services with a total of 35 experts and administrative personnel through the Secretariat General, Corporate and Financial Management Unit, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit, Program Management Unit, Project Development and Implementation Unit, Planning Promotion and Coordination Unit and Investment Support Offices in 6 provinces.
The Presidential Decree states the duties and authorities of the Development Agency as follows:
Providing technical support to the planning activities of local governments.
- To support activities and projects that ensure the implementation of regional plans and programs; to monitor and evaluate the implementation process of the activities and projects supported within this scope and to report the results to the Ministry of Industry and Technology.
- To contribute to the development of rural and local development capacity of the region in accordance with the regional plans and programs and to support the projects within this scope.
- To monitor other projects carried out by the public sector, private sector and non-governmental organizations in the region which are considered important for the regional plans and programs.
- To develop cooperation between public sector, private sector and non-governmental organizations in order to achieve regional development objectives.
- To use internal and external funds allocated to the Agency for regional development in accordance with the regional plans and programs.
- To conduct researches to determine the resources and opportunities of the region, to accelerate economic and social development and to increase the competitiveness, to support the researches of institutions and organizations etc.
- To promote or make the business and investment opportunities of the region at national and international level in cooperation with relevant institutions.
- To monitor and coordinate the permits, licenses and other administrative works and transactions of investors, public institutions and organizations in the provinces of the region within the scope of their duties and jurisdictions within the period specified in the relevant legislation.
- To support small and medium-sized enterprises and new entrepreneurs by cooperating with related organizations in areas such as management, production, promotion, marketing, technology, finance, organization and labor training.
- To promote the bilateral or multilateral international activities that Turkey participated related to the program and to contribute to the development projects under these programs.
- Establishing a website where the agency's activities, financial structure and other issues related to the agency will be published.
DOKA carries out activities in many areas within the framework of these duties and powers in order to revive the dynamics of the region.